Wednesday 19 March 2014

Mustard and Coconut Milk


Mustard is one of those things I really want to like, and I add it to sandwiches eagerly. After the first bite I usually scrape it off, disappointed at its chalky yellow sourness, repulsed by its toneless flat zing.

Mustard lasts a very long time in our fridge, undisturbed and mouldering.

But this! This is mustard the way it should be, subtle and peppery and soft. It's also very very easy to make.

Something else that's very easy to make: coconut milk. (I didn't take a picture because, well, it looks like milk.) Shockingly easy to make, shockingly quick. The only way it would be quicker to buy would be if you lived above a shop, or even in a shop. And you can make exactly the amount you need, each time, so no more half-empty cans of coconut milk in the fridge, greeted each morning with a muttered: "We should try to make another curry this week..." until you can't remember how old it is and throw it out in alarm.

1 comment:

Jane McLellan said...

Thanks, I've saved the recipe. I have the mustard seeds but will have to buy some honey before I can try it out.